News and Events
- 30th Anniversary - Mississippi Writing/Thinking Institute Did you know that the Mississippi Writing/Thinking Institute was instrumental in facilitating the set up of writing projects that are located at the universities around our State? MWTI will hold a reception to honor the ladies that were at the forefront of that effort - Sandra Burkett Price and Sherry Swain - on March 17. All teachers impacted by those two ladies and their local writing project are invited to attend. See the attached flyer for details.
- Workshop Opportunity - Nationally Recognized Authors An interactive workshop with nationally recognized authors (Kylene Beers and Bob Probst) will be held March 17 at the Pearl River Resort in Philadelphia, Mississippi. Come join us as we collaboratively learn more ways to improve student performance in reading and writing. See the attached brochure for a registration form and details
- MDE Selects MWTI to Lead Training of Teachers for Literacy Development Grades K-12 - The Mississippi Department of Education contracted with the Mississippi Writing Thinking Institute (MWTI) to lead implementation of the writing collaboration for preparing Mississippi teachers for the upcoming Common Core English/Language Arts assessment. A series of six face-to-face workshops and four online training sessions are offered to teachers across the school year, along with personalized assistance as needed. The workshops are held in Oxford, Jackson, Greenville and Meridian. The Live Oak Writing Project is holding the same series of workshops in Ellisville and Long Beach. The contracts cover school years 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15.
- MWTI Spearheads Writing of Teacher Training for MDE - The Mississippi Department of Education chose the Mississippi Writing Thinking Institute, inclusive of all writing projects located at university sites across the State, to create and deliver quality training for teachers in preparation for implementation of the Common Core State Standards.
Teachers attend a series of workshops targeted toward helping them create rigorous classroom assignments for students, with the goal of preparing students for the upcoming Common Core assessments and for post-secondary training and the workplace.
Rural Voices Radio
Listen to previous shows...
Cause for Celebration!
- Mississippi Writing Thinking Institute, Magee High School Honored with 2013 Governor's Award
The Mississippi Writing Thinking Institute and Magee High School were recognized for their collaborative work by the Mississippi Association of Partnerships in Education via presentation with the Governor's Award.
Mississippi Writing/Thinking Institute
Mississippi State University
75 Morgan Ave.
Starkville, MS 39759
P.O. Box 9509
Mississippi State, MS 39762-9509